The iPhone 12 Pro Max is the most expensive smartphone in the iPhone 12 series. It was introduced as Apple’s most powerful iPhone ever, surpassing last year’s iPhone 11 Pro Max, which had previously held the title. In comparison to the other series members, you get the largest display, the most powerful camera setup, and a slew of other features.
Where to Buy iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max Key Specs and Features
- 6.7 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1284 x 2778 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (458 ppi)
- Apple A14 Bionic (5nm)
- iOS 14.1
- 6GB RAM
- 12GB / 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP + TOF 3D LiDAR scanner Rear Cameras
- 12MP Front Camera
- 5G / 4G Connectivity
- Fast Wired Charging (20W)
- Qi Wireless Charging (15W)
- IP68 Water / Dust Resistance
Design and Display
The best and possibly most convenient way to describe the design we have here is to think of it as a larger version of the design found on the other iPhone 12 series members.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max has similar aesthetics to its siblings but on a larger chassis. It distinguishes itself with a 6.7-inch display, the largest in the series, even larger than the 6.1-inch display on the iPhone 12 Pro.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max’s 6.7-inch display is based on a Super Retina XDR OLED panel, just like its siblings. The resolution is 1284 x 2778 pixels, with a density of 548 pixels per inch.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max’s display, like its siblings, is fortified by a Cermaic shield that sits beneath the display’s glass layer. This ceramic shield was created to protect the display from potential damage.
Still, on the subject of fortification, this iPhone has an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance, which allows it to withstand up to 6 meters of water for approximately 30 minutes.
The new MagSafe feature, which was added to iPhones this year, was not spared. The iPhone 12 Pro Max also includes MagSafe, a feature that allows enthusiasts to attach various accessories to the back of the iPhone using an iPhone.
The MagSafe charger, which is essentially a wireless charger that snaps and sticks to the back of the iPhone, was one of the most talked-about MagSafe accessories.
The cameras on the iPhone 12 Pro Max aren’t too dissimilar to those on the slightly less expensive iPhone 12 Pro. They are nearly identical. The only difference between the two cameras is the capacity of the rear Telephoto camera.
The telephoto camera on the back of the iPhone 12 Pro Max can achieve 12x digital zoom, while the telephoto camera on the front of the iPhone 12 Pro is limited to 10x. Aside from this camera difference, all other camera features are essentially the same.
A 2MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.6, a 12MP ultrawide camera hinged at 120, and an aperture of f/2.4 round out the rear camera lineup.
Finally, Apple debuted a LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) sensor on the iPad Pro 2020. This will aid in augmented reality as well as autofocus in the dark.
In the front, there is another 12MP camera with an aperture of f/2.2 that is paired with a 3D depth sensor.
Hardware and Software
Apple’s A14 Bionic chip, which debuted as the world’s first 5nm processor, is at the heart of the iPhone 12 Pro max’s performance hardware. This is the same processor that was utilized on the members of the iPhone 12 series, which was previously launched alongside the iPad Air 2020.
Other performance drivers include 6GB of RAM, an Apple GPU with four cores, and storage options of 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB.
On the software side, the iPhone 12 Pro max runs iOS 14.1, which includes all of the latest features, such as the newly introduced widgets.
No Charging Brick
Apple took a bold step this year by removing charging bricks from the packaging of this year’s flagship iPhones. The iPhone 12 series smartphones will all come without a charger.
The claim by Apple is that removing the charging bricks from the packaging will lead to a smaller package, which means lower carbon emissions and fewer courier vehicles required.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max includes a Lightning port, near-field communication (NFC), Bluetooth 5.0, and dual-band WiFi.
In the iPhone 12 Pro, internet connectivity is capped at 5G, which means people who like to stream, download, and upload will be able to utilize 5G.”
iPhone 12 Pro Max Price and Availability
The iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at approximately $1,099 for the 128GB variant. In Nigeria, the smartphone costs approximately 685,000 Naira, 165,500 KSH in Kenya, 23,900 EGP in Egypt, and 8,200 GHC in Ghana.
The 256GB iPhone 12 Pro Max costs $1,199, while the 512GB model costs $1,399.
iPhone 12 Pro Max Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Platform: iOS 14.1
- Processor: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue
- Dimension: 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4 mm
- Weight: 189 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM / E-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, HDR10, 800 Nits, (typ), 1200 Nits (Peak), 1284 x 2778 Pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (458 PPI Density)
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, Oleophobic Coating, Ceramic Shield
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Wide) f/1.6 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.0, Digital zoom up to 10x + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, 120° + TOF 3D LiDAR scanner (Depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Portrait Lighting with six effects, Optical image stabilization (Wide), Five‑element lens (Ultra Wide); seven‑element lens (Wide), Brighter True Tone flash with Slow Sync, Panorama (up to 63MP), Sapphire crystal lens cover, 100% Focus Pixels (Wide), Night mode (Ultra Wide, Wide), Deep Fusion (Ultra Wide, Wide), Smart HDR 3 with Scene Detection, Wide colour capture for photos and Live Photos, Lens correction (Ultra Wide), Advanced red‑eye correction, Auto image stabilization, Burst mode, Photo geotagging, Image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG, HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 30fps), stereo sound rec,
- Front Camera: 12MP Camera, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor), HDR, [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, 10‑bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes (iCloud)
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800, 1900 MHz
- 3G WCDMA: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2176 – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66 – A2399, A2400 – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2398
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – A2176 – 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78, 79 Sub6 – A2398, A2399, A2400
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Lightning, USB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou, iBeacon Micro location.
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes (Face ID)
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Siri)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes (15W Qi Fast Wireless Charging)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Apple Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes (1P68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: –
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 20W Capacity (Wired)