The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies is now taking applications from recent PhD graduates and doctoral candidates in the social sciences or law for the Academy Scholars Program, which will begin in 2021 and run through 2023. The application deadline for the Harvard University Academy Scholars Program is October 1, 2021, and the programme will accept applications until that date.
The Harvard University Academy Scholars Program 2021/2022 is now accepting applications – Acknowledging and supporting outstanding scholars at the beginning of their careers, the Academy Scholars Program seeks to identify and support scholars whose work integrates disciplinary excellence in the social sciences or law with a command of the language, history, or culture of countries or regions other than the United States or Canada. Their research may shed light on internal, comparative, or international challenges that have occurred in the past or are now taking place.
The Academy Scholars are a select group of people with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity, and creativity whose work in cultures or areas other than the United States or Canada shows promise as a basis for great careers at major universities or worldwide institutions.
Academy Scholars are appointed to a two-year in-residence postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard University’s The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies in Cambridge, MA. They are given considerable financial and research support in order to carry out long-term research projects and/or obtain additional training in their chosen professions and regions. The Academy Scholars are mentored by the Senior Scholars, a renowned group of senior Harvard University academic members.
Eligibility for the Harvard University Academy Scholars Program
- Only recent PhD (or similar professional school degree) holders and doctoral candidates in the social sciences or law are eligible.
- Before seeking to become Academy Scholars, those still pursuing a PhD should have finished their regular training and be far advanced in the composition of their theses.
- If you have finished a PhD programme, you must have done it within three years of the October 1 application deadline. To be eligible for the October 1, 2021 deadline, candidates must have earned their PhD or equivalent after September 30, 2018.
Harvard University Academy Scholars Program Benefits
- Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive a $70,000 yearly stipend. If accepted prior to completing a PhD, the Scholars will receive a $35,000 yearly stipend until the PhD is conferred.
- This stipend is complemented by money for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance. While some instruction is permissible, it is not necessary.
How to Apply for the Academy Scholars Program at Harvard University
The completed application will include the following items:
- Cover letter that concisely outlines the applicant’s academic discipline, country or region of expertise, and proposed research topic.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé, containing publication list
- Research proposal (maximum of 2500 words); includes conceptual aims as well as planned methodological and disciplinary activities.
- A copy of your PhD programme transcript
- Three recommendation letters (uploaded through the online application)
- Letters should be sent to the “Selection Committee.” Letters of recommendation must be uploaded by October 1st. All components of the application, including the three letters of reference, are submitted electronically as PDF documents.